REACT™ TEST KIT
Ethylene Glycol (Antifreeze) Test Kit
The REACT™ test kit is designed to detect the presence of ethylene glycol
in the blood of cats and dogs. Ethylene glycol in an enzyme catalyzed reaction
causes the solution to change color.
This REACT™ test kit contains:
1 precision 40 µL pipette
1 transfer 1 mL pipette
1 yellow cap vial containing indicating powder
1 black cap vial containing buffer solution
1 white cap vial containing activating powder
PRECAUTIONS AND WARNINGS:
Draw blood for this test before administration of any preparations containing
propylene glycol, glycerol, sorbitol or mannitol. Failure could result in a
false positive result. In addition, do not use thimerosol to preserve the sample
as this may lead to a false positive. Propylene glycol may be found in some
injectables, activated charcoal suspensions, semi-moist diets or non-toxic anti-freeze.
Glycerol may be found in cough syrups, liqueurs or confections. Ethanol does
not interfere with the results of this test; however, when combined with propylene
glycol or glycerol it will produce a false positive. Read and understand the
test indication, instruction and warnings before use.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR TEST:
1) Draw blood using either heparin or EDTA as an anticoagulant. Serum and plasma
may also be used.
2) Use the 1 mL transfer pipette to transfer all the buffer solution from the
black cap vial into the yellow cap indicating powder vial. Close cap and shake
until all the powder is dissolved.
3) Use the same pipette to transfer all the resulting solution into the white
cap activating powder vial. Close cap and shake until all the powder is dissolved.
4) Transfer half of the solution back into the empty black cap buffer vial
to be used as a negative control.
5) Use the 40 µL precision pipette to transfer 40 µL of blood,
serum or plasma into the white cap vial filled with solution. Close cap and
shake until the solution is uniform and start timing the reaction.
6) If ethylene glycol is present the solution will turn purple within 6 minutes
and be darker than the negative control.
7) Do not examine the vial after 10 minutes; the negative control may turn
purple giving a false positive result.
CONTENTS: ONE KIT
FOR VETERINARY USE ONLY
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN AND PETS
NOT FOR HUMAN USE
STORE REFRIGERATED 2°C - 8°C (37°F - 46°F)