Bordetella Bronchiseptica Vaccine
Nobivac Feline-Bb is an intranasal vaccine containing an avirulent live culture of Bordetella bronchiseptica. Nobivac Feline-Bb is presented in a desiccated form with sterile diluent provided for reconstitution.
Nobivac Feline-Bb is for vaccination of healthy kittens and cats for prevention of disease caused by B. bronchiseptica.
Discussion: Research has demonstrated that B. bronchiseptica acts as a primary or secondary pathogen in feline respiratory disease. Traditionally feline herpesvirus (FHV) and feline calicivirus (FCV) have been implicated as the most common agents associated with feline upper respiratory infection (URI). However studies have shown that B. bronchiseptica may be the sole infectious agent in feline URI.(1) (2) Clinical signs associated with B. bronchiseptica infection may include fever sneezing nasal discharge coughing and submandibular lymphadenopathy. In some cases the infection progresses to pneumonia. Research regarding interspecies transmission has demonstrated isolates from cats and dogs housed in the same location were similar if not identical.(3) Because B. bronchiseptica is transmitted by the aerosol route animals in close confinement such as in catteries boarding facilities hospitals or pet stores or cats from multi-cat households are at greatest risk for infection.
Efficacy Data: Challenge studies have shown that kittens vaccinated at 4 weeks of age with Nobivac Feline-Bb were protected against disease when challenged 3 weeks post-vaccination. Further studies to establish duration of immunity have not yet been completed. Studies to evaluate the onset of immunity have demonstrated protection against B. bronchiseptica 72 hours after vaccination in 8 week old kittens.
Directions for Use: Aseptically reconstitute the desiccated vaccine with the sterile diluent provided. Remove the needle and administer 0.2 ml intranasally. Healthy kittens 8 weeks of age or older should be vaccinated prior to confinement or when risk of exposure to B. bronchiseptica may exist.
- Recommended storage temperature 35-45°F (2-7°C).
- Shake well before use.
- Use contents promptly once reconstituted.
- Non-chemically sterilized syringes should be used for administration of vaccine.
- Administration of epinephrine may be indicated in the event of an anaphylactic reaction.
- Burn this container and all unused contents.
- Only healthy animals should be vaccinated. Animals incubating any disease or animals stressed due to shipping malnutrition or parasitism may not achieve or maintain an adequate immune response.
- This product is not hazardous when used according to directions supplied.
Manufacturer: Intervet & Schering-Plough Animal Health