FELIWAY® PHEROMONE SPRAY
Active Ingredient(s): Composition:
|Analogue of Feline Facial Pheromones
To stop or to prevent urinary marking by the cat.
To comfort the cat in an unknown or stressful environment (cage, car, boarding, new house, etc.).
FELIWAY® may be used in other specific cases and we advise you to discuss the use of the product with your veterinarian.
Directions: Instructions for Use: Do not spray FELIWAY® on animals.
1) To stop urine marking: FELIWAY® should be sprayed directly onto the places soiled by the cat and also on prominent objects that could be attractive to the cat. A single dose (one depression of the nozzle) should be applied daily at about 10 cm (4 in) from site, keeping the bottle vertical. The spray should be applied at a height of about 20 cm (8 in) from the floor.
Maintenance treatment of each site is recommended once weekly after the cat is observed rubbing the site with its head and marking it with its own facial pheromones. Where this is not observed, treatment should be continued for 1 month.
The method of use should be modified in the following circumstances:
- Sexually excited cats:
When a male cat is marking in response to the presence of a female in heat (this is usually accompanied by continual calling), it is not necessary to apply FELIWAY® on all prominent objects that could be attractive to the cat. In this case, it is usually sufficient to apply FELIWAY® only to the places marked, which are usually near doors and windows.
- Multiple cat households:
The risk of urine marking is greater when several cats are present in a household. The application of FELIWAY® should be increased to two or three times per day on marked sites and once a day on prominent objects that could be attractive to the cat.
- Elderly cats:
With elderly cats, FELIWAY® may need to be used for 45 days in the manner described for multiple cat households, then once every 2-3 days for as long as necessary.
Important: The use of many cleaning agents and disinfectants will increase the likelihood of urine marking by the cat. It is essential that the soiled sites are not cleaned with bleaches or detergents or their derivatives.
2) To prevent urine marking: In order to prevent urine marking by a cat (new house, boarding, etc.) FELIWAY® should be sprayed once per day on prominent objects that could be attractive to the cat.
One depression of the nozzle should be used about 10 cm (4 in) from the object at a height of 20 cm (8 in) from the floor.
3) To familiarize a cat in a new environment: For transport in a cage, spray the inside of the cage with FELIWAY® 20 minutes before introducing the cat.
For transport in a car or other vehicle, spray 3-4 times around the cat's usual place in the vehicle before placing the cat in it.
When boarding, spray each corner of the cattery accommodation before introducing the cat. Repeat the sprays daily until the cat is observed rubbing its head in the areas of the sprays.
4) To prevent or stop scratching: Scratching is part of territory marking in its strictest sense. Like urine marking, scratching deposits both visible and pheromone-based territorial marks. The pheromones are released from the pads under the cat's paws onto the scratched surface.
FELIWAY® should be sprayed once per day on areas or surfaces that could be attractive to the cat (typically surfaces that are fully visible and vertical).
One depression of the nozzle should be used about 10 cm (4 in) from the area at a height of 20 cm (8 in) from the floor.
Precaution(s): Keep away from sources of ignition.
Keep container tightly closed. Store at room temperature.
Caution(s): Flammable, eye irritant.
Avoid contact with eyes. Avoid breathing vapor or mist.
The product will not stain or mark. Nevertheless, owing to the wide variety of materials used in household furnishings, we advise that you should test the product on a sample that is not easily visible prior to using it.
For best results, the product should be allowed to come up to room temperature by leaving it in the room for about 1 hour before using it and it should be shaken prior to use.
Warning(s): Keep out of reach of children.
Discussion: Properties: This innovative and patented product has some of the properties of feline facial pheromones. Pheromones are chemical substances secreted by animals to confirm their territory and to communicate with others.
The cat usually uses facial pheromones to familiarize itself with its environment. Surfaces that have been marked with these pheromones are recognized by the cat as familiar and comforting. Facial pheromones are deposited by rubbing the object with the side of the face.
Among other properties, facial pheromones will inhibit urinary marking when applied to an area.
The marking involves a well recognized behavioral sequence where the cat:
- selects a vertical surface
- paws at the ground
- turns its back to the surface
- lifts its tail to a vertical position while remaining standing
- sprays the surface with a horizontal jet of urine
The cat will perform this behavioral sequence of urine marking:
- during a period of sexual activity
- following an event that changes its environment (new arrival: human or animal, new object or new furniture, new house or vacations, or any other event perceived by the cat as stressful).
Urine marks produced in this way are characterized by a strong smell, even though the quantity of urine deposited each time is usually small, and they are found at about 20 cm (8 in) above the floor.
Presentation: 75 mL spray bottle.